Do you recognise the ‘splurge and edit’ method of writing? Do you regularly have to return documents for corrections and amendments? Are clients missing the key points you need them to understand?
This popular programme will help to build better relationships with customers, clients and colleagues and save time and money.
You will learn to write with an emphasis on quality rather than quantity, producing concise well structured, persuasive documents that consistently get your message across.
Overview of the workshop
This programme is not just a single workshop but includes
- prework including an an assessment of writing skills
- a 2 day workshop
- 3 months of follow up for everyone attending
- support to managers/ mentors afterwards to embed the learning
- optional 1:1 coaching sessions.
Having completed the program, you will:
- Understand how to identify your key message and audiences
- Write concise, accurate documents for both internal and external consumption
- Reduce time and effort with an efficient writing process
- Know which structures and words persuade readers to take action
- Write for a range of readers, including those who are non-technical and in a global environment
- Use a coaching process to receive feedback and embed your progress back at work
Benefits to you and your organisation:
- Makes the writing process easier, more efficient and more enjoyable
- Effective written communications that achieve their purpose first time
- Increased client satisfaction and better customer service
- You’ll understand how to choose words and structure for impact and clarity
- Reduces the time spent on planning, writing, editing and layout
- Provides a consistent framework for written documents
- You work on your own documents and get feedback throughout the workshop.
Plus you’ll be given a copy of our Writing Skills Pocketbook so you always have something to refer to.
- 7 steps to effective writing – how to plan, draft and write for business
- How to summarise and be concise
- Using the psychology of influence to write more persuasive documents
- Punctuation checkup
- Top tips for layout and readability – how to keep your reader engaged even when faced with multiple distractions
We provide support for 3 months to all participants including:
- Recommendations for continued development
- Additional tips and techniques for improved written communication
- plus a summary at the end of the 3 months for managers to measure progress.
An opportunity for 45 minutes of 1 to 1 coaching with an expert coach for feedback and recommendations for further improvements. This can be face to face on site or through telephone/ skype and email.
Alternatively you may wish to put your own coaching/ mentoring process into place and we can provide support with that.
What previous customers said:
As an intelligence and analysis company we were looking to improve the clarity of report writing. From day one I saw a marked improvement in the readability of reports and speed of writing. People were adamant that the course was brilliant, the teaching style encouraged everyone, regardless of current ability, to recognise and make changes to the way they write. As an employer, this was a superb investment with a return being felt almost immediately. Thanks to everyone for the great service and for exceeding our expectations. Glen Foden, Research and Analysis Department Manager, HMS Ltd
Everyone who attended thoroughly enjoyed the course. It was very stimulating and thought provoking. We all focus on technical stuff and I think that we have almost all forgotten how important writing is! Steve Rowe, Managing Director, Chilworth Global.
Just a quick note to say I’m still using the seven steps…which notably helped expedite the writing of a ‘quick but robust’ piece of work before Christmas. Paul Konig, Ramboll